Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China.

iPhone-16-Pro-Front-Update-Blue.jpg

Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge the iPhone 15 models at up to 15W. All four iPhone 15 models can charge up to 50% in around 30 minutes with a 20W or higher power adapter, which is the same as Apple's previous iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models.

According to ITHome, that's set to change for the Pro models in Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 lineup, with a boost to 40W wired and 20W wireless charging in order to "balance and improve the problem of increasing charging time caused by the increase in battery capacity."

This rationale relates to another rumor that – with the exception of the iPhone 16 Plus – models in Apple's ‌iPhone 16 series will feature larger batteries than their predecessors.

The claim about increased charging wattage resurrects a similar rumor we covered here at MacRumors almost a year ago, when it was reported that the iPhone 16 lineup would adopt stacked battery technology, alongside 40W wired charging and 20W charging via ‌MagSafe‌. Stacked batteries can result in a higher capacity and longer lifespan.

It's unclear why the rumor is again doing the rounds in Asia, but given that we are only two months out from Apple unveiling its new flagship devices, there could be something in it. The iPhone 16 series is expected to be released sometime around mid-September.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I love wired fast charging. It is a nice quality of life improvement. After upgrading all my charging stations to capable USB-C chargers, I stopped using wireless charging, at least at home. It's much more convenient in my opinion. I never charge overnight though.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone battery got improved from iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max when 3D Touch hardware was removed in iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max...

Look at what MagSafe did with iPhone 12 series battery... It reversed the battery improvement and made worse by 5G network use...

Since cable charging is still faster, Apple should get rid of MagSafe and focus on increasing the battery capacity instead...

Based on the reaction, so many people love charging wirelessly but also worry about battery health...

Last edited:

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
My iPhone 13 Pro already charges relatively quickly up to 80% - after 80% the charging speed drops dramatically

I almost always plug in my iPhone just before it drops below 20% because I read online that it’s bad for the battery to let the phone go below 20% (or above 80%)

My iPhone 13 Pro doesn’t have the 80% limit setting as an option so I make sure to unplug it around 77% (if I’m planning to use it more throughout the day) with the intention of plugging it in right before I go to bed and that way it only crosses the 80% threshold once instead of multiple times, to help with the battery health (considering it doesn’t have the 80% limit setting)

My second phone is the 15 Pro Max (which probably charges faster than my 13 Pro) but considering my 15 Pro Max has the 80% limit setting on, it charges so quickly that I don’t even realize how fast it charges until when I look at the screen (it tells me when it turned off low power mode - a way of viewing how long ago it finished charging) sometimes it says low power mode turned off two hours ago (because it hit 80%)

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
Nice update. Wondering guys, do you use wireless charging much?
- Yes, all the time
- Yes, sometimes
- Never

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
iPhone battery got improved from iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max when 3D Touch hardware was removed in iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max...

Look at what MagSafe did with iPhone 12 series battery... It reversed the battery improvement and made worse by 5G network use...

Since cable charging is still faster, Apple should get rid of MagSafe and focus on increasing the battery capacity instead...
MagSafe had nothing to do with anything. The 12 series had notoriously small capacities of those batteries. Jonathan Ivy was still the chief designer at Apple at the time, so they prioritized the thinness and weight over functionality on the 12 series. The 13 series had significantly larger batteries in comparison and it was a big improvement in that department.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
- Yes, all the time
- Yes, sometimes
- Never
The only time I use MagSafe for iPhone charging is with a MagSafe battery pack, which I do very rarely. I never invested in wireless charging at home. I have USB-C charging stations all around my home.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2015
- Yes, all the time
- Yes, sometimes
- Never

Rarely. I have wireless charger on my desk at work, but my AirPods usually sit on it.

We have a charging station in the kitchen and I just leave my phone there overnight. No reason to charge wirelessly.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
MagSafe had nothing to do with anything. The 12 series had notoriously small capacities of those batteries. Jonathan Ivy was still the chief designer at Apple at the time, so they prioritized the thinness and weight over functionality on the 12 series. The 13 series had significantly larger batteries in comparison and it was a big improvement in that department.
It's because it's the first version of the new design that uses MagSafe that the batteries used had lower capacity and not because of wanting to make it thin...

Again, removing the MagSafe part would give room for a bigger battery that has higher capacity... It's not rocket science...

Reactions: snipr125

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
- Yes, all the time
- Yes, sometimes
- Never
I bought a Belkin wireless station as well as an Anker one, but I find myself using the wire first because obviously it's faster.

Reactions: pksv

lindijones

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
Let’s see…

I just bought a Belkin Boost Charge Pro 5K powerbank and although it‘s Qi2 it anyway get‘s really hot during charging with 7.5W.
Not sure how Apple is handling it with 20W.
Maybe with an aggressive temperature control.
Maybe the same with the cable. Let‘s see how the user benefit looks like.
I think we had similar rumors every past year, right? 🙂

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
- Yes, all the time
- Yes, sometimes
- Never
Yes, in my car, when Im driving, at home when I sleep and at work, when Im working on my desk. I bought some 5$ wireless charges from Ikea and they work great. Yeah, these are slow (5W), but more than sufficient for me.

Reactions: pksv

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
Curious on how Apple plans to dampen the added stress to the battery with an increase energy load with fast charging….

Reactions: Razorpit

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
They really need to bump it up massively more. 80 watts next year, minimum.

I’ve built my own 300 watt iPhone charger and I’ve only had 5 house fires this year due to exploding li ion. That’s way better than past years on a 200 watt charger I made that resulted in 20 fires. The fire brigade has had several words with me and the insurance companies won’t touch me… but my iPhone, if I’m lucky, has a decent charge in minutes and makes for a decent hand warmer too.

Just demonstrates how good the batteries in iPhone are these days.

🤔🙄😜

I joke… but I just charge my iPhone overnight… this faster charging might be good for some people but for the vast majority… it’s a moot point. Larger capacity and longer lasting batteries over extreme charging speeds any day.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I bought some 5$ wireless charges from Ikea and they work great. Yeah, these are slow (5W), but more than sufficient for me.
I hated the Ikea chargers because they don't have the magnets to align the phone. It was just too fiddly to align the coils between the charger and the phone.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Curious on how Apple plans to dampen the added stress to the battery with an increase energy load with fast charging….
Its a factor that can degrade batteries faster… slower charging for most li ion varieties is the best for longevity.

It’s because it’s all about convenience in a device that a lot of people think is just useful for a year or two. So they set charging as fast as possible, and set charge limits high.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
It's because it's the first version of the new design that uses MagSafe that the batteries used had lower capacity and not because of wanting to make it thin...

Again, removing the MagSafe part would give room for a bigger battery that has higher capacity... It's not rocket science...
iPhone 12 Pro Max depth - 7.4 mm.
iPhone 13 Pro Max depth - 7.65 mm.
iPhone 12 Pro Max weight - 228 g.
iPhone 13 Pro Max weight - 240 g.
iPhone 12 Pro Max battery capacity - 3,687 mAh.
iPhone 13 Pro Max battery capacity - 4,352 mAh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.