Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 16 models coming later this year could have some Face ID-related "design changes," supply chain publication DigiTimes said this week.

Beyond-iPhone-13-Better-Blue-Face-ID.jpg

The original source of this information is British newspaper The Telegraph, which six weeks ago reported that Face ID component supplier Coherent was considering selling or repurposing a manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe, a small town in England, after losing a supply deal with a large customer believed to be Apple. The report claimed Apple was expected to "overhaul" the Face ID system on iPhone 16 models.

It is unclear what changes Apple may be planning for the Face ID system on iPhone 16 models, if any. Early rumors indicated that iPhone 16 Pro models could feature an under-screen Face ID system, but reputable display industry source Ross Young later indicated that this change is no longer expected until next year at the earliest.

Other changes to Face ID are still possible for iPhone 16 models, but it is unclear if this would lead to any noticeable improvements, such as faster authentication. Apple routinely makes changes to internal components in new generations of iPhones, and this does not always lead to new features or other obvious benefits for customers.

All in all, expect some potential Face ID-related changes on iPhone 16 models, but details are vague right now. Perhaps some more rumors about this topic will surface between now and the devices launching in September.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Models Rumored to Have Face ID-Related Design Changes

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
So things are unclear and some changes are no longer expected and it's unknown what Apple might do (or not) but things are still possible and Apple routinely makes changes and it doesn't always lead to new features but we should expect some changes ... and perhaps some more things will surface

Got it

AFpya.gif

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Hasn’t this under-screen Touch ID/Face ID rumor been beaten to death already? These leakers are regurgitating the same crap every year for a quick cash grab.

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
Hasn’t this under-screen Touch ID/Face ID rumor been beaten to death already? These leakers are regurgitating the same crap every year for a quick cash grab.
They have to try and stay relevant somehow. Same with Gurman. He literally talks out of both sides of his mouth just so he can say "see I was right" even though he claimed 50 different things.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So things are unclear and some changes are no longer expected and it's unknown what Apple might do (or not) but things are still possible and Apple routinely makes changes and it doesn't always lead to new features but we should expect some changes ... and perhaps some more things will surface

Got it

AFpya.gif
Yet we comment on it ;)

Mission accomplished - clicks ;)

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL

Got it

AFpya.gif
“There are known knowns, known unknowns, unknown knowns, and unknown unknowns.”

-Donald Rumsfeld

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
I was so disappointed when they changed from touch id to face id. I really wanted them to just put a fingerprint scanner under the screen. Why are they changing? Touch id works perfect for me, I don't even have to be looking at phone. By the time I take it out of my pocket, its unlocked. Boy was I wrong. They really did a good job with it, and none of the things I was worried about ended up being issues. I was in fact, so wrong, that if they added touch id back and you could choose which one to use, I would continue with face id

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I was so disappointed when they changed from touch id to face id. I really wanted them to just put a fingerprint scanner under the screen. Why are they changing? Touch id works perfect for me, I don't even have to be looking at phone. By the time I take it out of my pocket, its unlocked. Boy was I wrong. They really did a good job with it, and none of the things I was worried about ended up being issues. I was in fact, so wrong, that if they added touch id back and you could choose which one to use, I would continue with face id

I wish they added Touch ID embedded power button like on some iPads.

GrayFlannel

Suspended
Feb 2, 2024

Got it

AFpya.gif
Very well said!

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
The Telegraph used to be a newspaper albeit with right wing leanings. Now it’s just a lying populist rag that will say anything to get clicks for cash.

Hard pass on anything they state as a truth.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.