Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the third betas of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 that Apple released today, there are additional tweaks to a number of features like Dark Mode icons, the Photos app, emoji in Messages, and more, with Apple appearing to be preparing for the launch of Apple Intelligence.

iOS-18-on-iPhone-Feature.jpg

Apple will continue updating iOS 18‌ over the course of the next couple of months, refining the beta prior to its launch. We've highlighted everything new in the third ‌iOS 18‌ beta.

Dark Mode Icons

There are now Dark Mode icons for many third-party apps like Facebook, Etsy, Telegram, Signal, Slack, Notion, YouTube, and more. Apple appears to be adding the Dark Mode icons automatically to apps that have icons with a handful colors.

ios-18-dark-mode-third-party-icons.jpg

With some icons, the secondary color becomes the main color, while the background color is turned to black, and in others, a white icon background transitions to black.

Apps with complicated icon designs in many colors do not change to a Dark Mode color at this time, but Apple does tint them to be darker. When iOS 18 launches, app developers will be able to provide their own dark-tinted icons to be used in lieu of Apple's defaults.

Photos App

Apple added a Select button for choosing multiple images to the main Photos interface, so there is no longer a need to swipe down to get to the Select button.

ios-18-photos-select-button.jpg

With this change, the Search button is now just a magnifying glass, but it is highlighted blue to make it stand out more.

Emoji

In Messages, emoji, Memoji, and stickers have all been combined into one interface, which can be navigated using the tiny icons at the bottom of the display. There are icons you can tap into to get to stickers or Memoji, and you can scroll through your Memoji to more quickly find specific characters and poses.

ios-18-emoji-stickers-memoji.jpg

You can create both stickers and Memoji from this interface, and you can use stickers right in your messages like you can use emoji. This works with non-moving stickers only, and those with animation from Live Photos will display in the larger attachment sticker size. The smaller stickers used as emoji are, however, hard to see.

Emoji are displayed larger than before, so you see more detail but fewer characters before having to scroll, and there are more emoji and stickers displayed at once in the Recent section.

Apple likely made these changes to prepare for the debut of Apple Intelligence, Genmoji, and Image Playground.

Wallpaper

There is a dynamic version of the iOS 18 wallpaper that transitions through different colors based on the time of day.

ios-18-dynamic-wallpaper-option.jpg

Flashlight Interface

When you activate the Flashlight, or tap on the controls from the Dynamic Island, there is a larger and more intuitive interface for changing the brightness and the spread of the LED Flash used for the Flashlight feature.

ios-18-flashlight-refinement.jpg

Maps

Apple has once again tweaked the colors of the Maps icon when Dark Mode is activated.

ios-18-maps-dark-mode-color.jpg

RCS in Messages

The interface for RCS in the Messages section of the Settings app has changed. Rather than just showing up as an on/off toggle, it is now a tap-in menu that provides some additional context. Apple explains that sending and receiving messages with RCS uses wireless data, and cellular network identifiers may be shared with carriers and their partners.

ios-18-beta-3-messages-rcs-toggle.jpg

Some iPhone users in Canada and other countries are also now seeing the RCS toggle, though it is unclear if RCS is working outside of the United States.

Apple Intelligence

There are some mentions of Apple Intelligence features in the code, further hinting at the upcoming addition of AI to the iOS 18 beta. Code references Genmoji, Image Playground, Writing Tools, Image Wand, and more.

More New Changes

Know of a new feature in iOS 18 beta 3 that we left out? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 18 Beta 3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mudflap and SFjohn

hendriks16

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Icon customization not working here. I tap tap tap and nothing happens.

Also lots of other minor bugs not present on B1 or 2. Looks like this is the first real beta (with Apple Intelligence in the works).

Hopefully other apps will not have bugs. I know was my own risk but anyways I can hope for the best.

Reactions: curdy

nCode

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2021
Select button in the Photos app is in Beta 2, it's just been swapped around with the search icon.

Reactions: Shirasaki

KurtWilde

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Really hoping Apple Intelligence will be a server side switch. Not holding my breath for that, but I can hope!

If anecdotal is anything to go by, there’s been some evidence that is the case.

Someone in the iOS beta reddit posted they had it appear and disappear. Between devices they were using notes and experienced a crash on the iPad then using the phone to get to their notes they had the AI writing tools available before they disappeared.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I am a photographer and use the Photos app constantly.
It's really confusing now. I really don't like it. The summary feature only works on albums and the summarized photos are square, which crop the image too much. There should be a square/normal toggle.
Also, when you click on a photo to view it and, if the photo is vertical, there is a rounded corner and the photo doesn't reach the edge of the display, making it smaller than necessary. If the photo is horizontal, the rounded corners are not there and the image reaches the edge of the display.
What are the designers doing?
Slightly disappointed to say the least...

gf11

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Same issue here with icon customization

Also lots of other minor bugs not present on B1 or 2. Looks like this is the first real beta (with Apple Intelligence in the works).

Hopefully other apps will not have bugs. I know was my own risk but anyways I can hope for the best.

Reactions: Parowdy

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Also, when you click on a photo to view it and, if the photo is vertical, there is a rounded corner and the photo doesn't reach the edge of the display, making it smaller than necessary. If the photo is horizontal, the rounded corners are not there and the image reaches the edge of the display.
I think they might've fixed this at least in Beta 3. I was seeing the behavior you described on my iPad in previous betas, but now the image seems to properly fill the screen (thank god).

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
one more thing on the albums... when you open an album, there is a small slide show on top which is niece but it starts by showing the oldest images in sequence. why would u want to see an old image first?
I would randomize the images to show u photos from different times instead of in sequential old-new order.
Another thoughtless thought...

the 12th Doctor

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
Same. The iPad update and came back with dark icons. But the phone didn’t and it won’t let me change them. Just beta things.

Hopefully other apps will not have bugs. I know was my own risk but anyways I can hope for the best

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I am a photographer and use the Photos app constantly.
It's really confusing now. I really don't like it. The summary feature only works on albums and the summarized photos are square, which crop the image too much. There should be a square/normal toggle.
I'm not sure if it's new in Beta 3, but when viewing an album in the "Summary" view, under the "up-arrow/down-arrow" button (weird glyph for what is basically a "..." menu), there is a View Options > Aspect Ratio Grid toggle, which does exactly what you want it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.