Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a second beta firmware for the AirPods Pro 2, including both the Lightning and USB-C versions. The updated firmware has a build number 7A5244b and it is available to developers at the current time. This is the second firmware update that Apple has released since announcing new AirPods Pro 2 features in June.

AirPods-Pro-Beta-Firmware.jpg

There are several new features that are coming to the AirPods Pro 2 as part of iOS 18, and these features are included in the firmware update.

With head gestures, users can control Siri on the AirPods Pro with a shake or a nod of the head. If you get a phone call, for example, you can shake your head no if you don't want to answer it, or nod to accept the call. Siri interactions can be used for responding to incoming messages, calls, and notifications.

Apple is adding Voice Isolation to the AirPods Pro to cut down on loud background sounds to make you easier to hear, and there is a new Personalized Spatial Audio feature specific to gaming. Game developers will be able to incorporate spatial audio into their games for a more immersive audio experience.

The new firmware requires a device running iOS 18 to install, and it won't be available to the public until this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases New AirPods Pro 2 Beta Firmware With Support for iOS 18 Features

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Does the iphone have to be in developer mode to install the airpods beta? If so, is developer mode enabled by installing xcode?

Last edited:

nickbatz

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
It would be great if they added a better way to adjust the volume than swiping up/down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - and that's if you're not elderly or disabled.

And if you connect them to an Apple TV, you have to use the remote to go to the settings to adjust the volume.

Or will you be able to map the Siri commands to that?

Reactions: Mother Nature

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
“Apple is adding Voice Isolation to the ‌AirPods Pro‌ to cut down on loud background sounds to make you easier to hear"

Hold on. Why do I keep reading this?
The AirPod pros have had voice isolation for years

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Bummer for me and my Gen 1 Air Pods Pro....but my wife will get to enjoy some new features

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
The OP is wrong. It should be written as “make it easier for you to be heard”.

It’s a mic feature, not speaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: addamas

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It would be great if they added a better way to adjust the volume than swiping up/down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - and that's if you're not elderly or disabled.

And if you connect them to an Apple TV, you have to use the remote to go to the settings to adjust the volume.

Or will you be able to map the Siri commands to that?
Honestly what better way would there be to adjust volume? Squeezing morse code patterns into the stem? I can't think of any better way to adjust the volume than the current way of swiping. Are you holding the stem between your fingers when you swipe? Trying to swipe without a finger on the other side doesn't work very well.

And screw siri commands for adjusting volume. I don't want to have to talk out loud to adjust volume, especially in public.

Reactions: mcrawley and srbNYC

brownj218

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2021
“Apple is adding Voice Isolation to the ‌AirPods Pro‌ to cut down on loud background sounds to make you easier to hear"

Came here to ask the same thing.

I’m wondering if the processing for voice isolation happened on device up until now, and maybe it’s now part of the AirPods firmware? Just a guess. Still unsure what the benefit would be, maybe that means you get voice isolation on non-Apple devices?

Would love to know if anyone has concrete information on this.

Mother Nature

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Colombia

No, the AirPods don't have that.
Everyone confuses the "Voice Isolation" that Apple added on a previous OS Update (don't recall whether that was iOS 16/17), but that feature works with most wired or wireless headphones connected.

This new option is for the AirPods Pro themselves. You can check the AirPods Pro 2 specs and you'll see "Voice Isolation" is nowhere to be found.

hohohonkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
No, the AirPods don't have that.
Everyone confuses the "Voice Isolation" that Apple added on a previous OS Update (don't recall whether that was iOS 16/17), but that feature works with most wired or wireless headphones connected.

This new option is for the AirPods Pro themselves. You can check the AirPods Pro 2 specs and you'll see "Voice Isolation" is nowhere to be found.

Can I ask what you make of this then? This was taken just now in a facetime call on iOS 17.5.1, with AirPods Pro 2 selected as the audio device. No betas enabled.

Attachments

• IMG_2819.PNG
    IMG_2819.PNG
    988 KB · Views: 431

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Can I ask what you make of this then? This was taken just now in a facetime call on iOS 17.5.1, with AirPods Pro 2 selected as the audio device. No betas enabled.
sounds like the point was before it was ios handling the voice isolation (as in your screenshot), but now its the airpods themselves?

that said practically i don't know what this means for the end user. will the voice isolation get better? will when i'm outisde and there is the slightest of breezes my airpods no longer blast my ears with wind noise?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am on beta 3, on my iphone, but i do not see a developer mode.
  1. Control Center | Disable Focus mode, if selected
  2. Settings | Privacy & Security | Developer Mode -> On
  3. Select Restart when prompted
  4. Swipe Up and select Enable
  5. Settings | Developer | Pre-Release Beta Firmware | Your AirPods Pro -> On
  6. Pray that AirPods will eventually update

Reactions: RayDaManX

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Focus mode disabled. Developer mode still not present.

Reactions: RayDaManX

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

According to many people on the other end of my calls, no they haven’t. It says it in control center, but it does not apply to the AirPods. It does work on the phone itself.

I don’t think it works with any external speaker, which the AirPods count as.

RayDaManX

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2024
Focus mode disabled. Developer mode still not present.

6. Pray that AirPods will eventuall

Thanks! I followed your steps and hopefully they download soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.