Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why does my Apple Pay receipt show the actual last 4 of my card number?

I have used Apple Pay at Ulta for an online order. When I get my emailed receipt, it shows the actual last 4 of my card number. I thought it was supposed to show the dummy card number listed in my Apple Pay? I’ve had this issue for a while and I thought it was because my phone was old. I just got a new 14 and it still shows the actual last 4 of the card. Everything I I have read says they do not get the actual account number. If that’s the case, why is it on my receipt?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Jul 9, 2024 12:42 PM

7 replies

Jul 16, 2024 8:49 AM in response to Littlepaws10

If you use the physical card (magnetic stripe, chip or Tap-to-Pay) to complete a purchase, the receipt will reflect your actual card number. If you use your iPhone and a card in your Apple Wallet, you’ll see the last 4 digits or DPAN (Device Primary Account Number) of your encrypted Apple Pay Number. The number is specific to your device and credit card account. Here is photo of my screen so you can see what I’m trying to explain.

The path to see that screen is,

iPhone > Wallet app > credit/debit card > More button (3 dots in a circle in upper right corner of the screen) > Card Number > what you’ll see is the Network (Visa, Mastercard etc.) Physcal Card and Apple Pay (DPAN).

All that is displayed is the last 4 numbers and that is required and limited by Federal regulation and is to facilitate the return and refund of purchases.

Why does my Apple Pay receipt show the actual last 4 of my card number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.