Topic

Sun cap/bandana/buff solution

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home › Forums › Gear Forums › Gear (General) › Sun cap/bandana/buff solution

• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Ian.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

I prefer a cap to a full brimmed hat, and am looking for a way to attach a bandana, buff or scarf to a cap to give some face and neck sun protection. Rather than buying a cap with a dedicated neck 'flap', I'd like to use a bandana or scarf which can also be used a pack towel, for example. I have a couple of old paint-stained buffs that I am considering slitting open and sewing together – dries fast, lightweight, moisture-absorbing… What do people use? Any other multi-use suggestions?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I saw a gear list video on YouTube where the guy used a visor with an MSR pack towel. The towel was the kind that has a tiny clip that attaches it into a mesh bag. He removed the clip from the bad and attached it to an adjacent corner so that he could clip it under his chin in the wind. I've not tried this solution but it made sense. I wear a cap with a bandana under it frequently. I find the cotton bandana helps with cooling. I also wear an OR Sun Runner cap. It's dumb looking but it breathes well and the original flap works great. I don't care for the string system on the flap. I just let the flaps hang down and occasionally blow around. It doesn't have a secondary use.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I just pull a Buff over my head. capbuff

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I took a bandana and sewed a couple of elastic loops on 2 corners, which I clip together across the brim with a very small S biner with just enough loop to allow the bandana to go around the back of my head. The bandana then hangs down over the back and sides of the neck. I keep it stuffed it in a waist belt pocket on my pack, hence the wrinkled appearance. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone selfie, I just took a quick shot of it: DIY Ball Cap Shroud

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

I started with a bandana/hat combo. In hot weather I soaked the bandana for cooling effect. It worked OK but I would have preferred something attached. I picked up a ball cap with flaps and still carry the bandana but drape it around my neck for cooling (and other uses). The flaps on my particular hat will easily stuff under the cap unnoticeably when not wanted. The reason I wanted an attached set up was many times when I transition from open exposure to a sheltered canopy I will clip my cap to my sternum strap and allow my head to cool off a bit. Having two pieces became a PITA. Also for my particular area the flaps work great under a head net which has been a necessity since I have stopped using Deet. If I could just get used to a wide brim hat these other issues would be non existent. I do have doubts weather the bandana was sufficient for keeping the suns rays from penetrating to my ears. I have had some precancerous cells frosted off the tops of my ears as well as several sliced off my torso. Since, I have taken skin cancer much more seriously. My advise for folks is to make sure your sun protection is effective. jimmyb

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I found a gal at work that sews (should learn to sew myself I know) and had her sew on some really small velcro tabs (white like the cap) I found at Wally on the back of my cap and then the reverse tabs on the edge of the Buf. Just stick the Buf on when I need it for sun protection, off when I don't.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Another poster had a blog post about hiking in the sun is all about dressing like on safari …[ except with nylon ]

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I find even the UV buffs too hot for use as sun protection much above 50F. They are great for snowy, sunny days. I use a bandanna over a ball cap similar to the other folks here, but I sew a length of shock cord with a cord lock into the top edge. This way you can tighten it up in high winds, and even stretch it to fit over a bike, boating, or climbing helmet.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

"I do have doubts weather the bandana was sufficient for keeping the suns rays from penetrating to my ears. I have had some precancerous cells frosted off the tops of my ears as well as several sliced off my torso. Since, I have taken skin cancer much more seriously. My advise for folks is to make sure your sun protection is effective." A cotton bandanna is not sufficient to protect you from the sun. I also had a cancerous melanoma sliced from my cheek and now I've got religion. Not getting sun burned doesn't mean that you're being protected from rays that can lead to melanoma. cotton still lets rays through. I wear a big brimmed hat, or a 100% protective drape hat with a BIG drape that velcros up. (Big is actually cooler.) The latter is great in bug season because I can velcro it up over my nose for complete bug protection and then open it up entirely in the shade etc. Sun Precautions carries the drape hat.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

DaveC: "I find even the UV buffs too hot for use as sun protection much above 50F. They are great for snowy, sunny days." That's just weird. I run so hot that I use less insulation than most do at temps that are 20F higher, but the pic I posted above with the Buff was at 79F and it didn't bother me. I've done the same thing in summer time when gnats were getting in my ears..like in Alabama at 100F.

David R.
    BPL Member

@orbitald

I found these little clips from Ikea are great for holding my bandana on the back of my hat. They weigh about 2.7 grams each. The exact clip I use is no longer sold but these look very similar. I feed them into the strap hold and they work great. Might be good for other applications too.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10217240/

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Saw a lady hiking with a sarong draped on her head. I’ve heard people rave about them as a great multi-use item. I’m going to try it some day. You can drape it on your head, use it as a scarf, wear it as a skirt or a dress, lay on it, sit on it, make portable shade with it, hide from mosquitoes under it, use it for a pillow, carry stuff with it. Probably other uses I haven’t thought of.

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

I’m with Owen and just pull the buff (Columbia Omni-Freeze) over my head. How far over my head depends on temperature and angle of the sun. Most of the time I keep the buff loosely around my neck and tucked into my collared shirt. This usually gives me all the protection I need combined with a full brim hat.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I use a ball cap over a bandana, not a bandana over a ball cap. I take two corners of the bandana, tie them into a knot, and slide the knot over my forhead. Then I put the hat on. The knot sits right below the brim of the hat. That way its always secure and I’m not messing with tying the bandana on top of the hat.

I have used a buff and ball cap and while it’s hotter than other option, it gives full protection in the late mornings and late afternoons when the sun is shining directly in your face.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

“Saw a lady hiking with a sarong draped on her head.”

Sarongs are very thin though – you’d need to fold it a few times to get adequate sun protection I think. We use them as our travel towels – my girlfriend even uses hers as a sort of sling bag.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I’ve been experimenting with a Shemagh.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/09/how-to-tie-a-military-style-shemaghkeffiyeh/

You can buy a cheap cotton one off Amazon for around ten bucks.

I was up on Mt Shasta last weekend and it was perfect protection against the wind and the sun; it also kept me cool in the late afternoon as it got much warmer.

I wore a wool beanie under it when it got cold and windy but the Shemagh saved me from the brutal UV reflected off the snow at altitude.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

For three season backpacking I normally use a cotton bandana under my hat.  Similar to the hiker in the picture below (copied from the web).  This works really well to cope with sweat as well.  Somehow the sweat that would otherwise fall in my face/eyes gets trapped by the bandana and drips on the sides.  i know this looks pretty bad but works like a charm.  I didn’t know cotton is not an effective UV barrier, as mentioned earlier in this thread, so  I will have to look into a fabric that it is, but again the functionality of a bandana is hard to beat.

For early spring Snow / Glacier travel i use a Buff which allows me full coverage of my face.  They do have a high UV version.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I sew two bandannas together to make one long rectangle. Then there is enough to wrap around my face and tuck a corner into my visor which I wear over the bandanna. Everything except the top of my head is doubled.

( I have no idea why this photo came up upside-down…..)

David R.
    BPL Member

@orbitald

I use the bandana under the hat or even around my neck in the morning when its not too hot. In addition to backpacking I’m also a field botanist, and when I’m in the field and it gets hot (and not too windy) its much cooler to have the bandana draping off the back of my wide brimmed hat using the clips above rather than under my hat. But people are different and your mileage may vary.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just posted this on my Sun Protection thread so my apologies to those who are reading this twice.

Today was the maiden voyage of my UV Buff and I wore it under my ball cap.  It’s advertised to block “95% of Harmful UV rays” which should roughly translate to SPF 20-25.  Today’s day hike was a short jaunt up 800′ with temps starting in near 60*f and ending near 75*f with bluebird skies.  I run warm and would be happy to move somewhere temps remained between 40-60*f year round and it doesn’t take much for me to feel overheated.

I always carry a traditional buff when backpacking for warmth so I was concerned that this combination would be hot and uncomfortable.  A few hundred feet up, I was starting to feel uncomfortably warm and beginning to doubt that this was a viable option for me, but I dampened the buff with a few fluid ounces of water and threw it back on.  The result was more comfortable and cooling than if I was wearing no headgear at all.  The hill summits at after 800′ of climbing so I was limited to how far I could take it under exertion, but I was very comfortable for the remainder of my hike.

So yes, n=1 and this is just my initial impression, but I’m pretty happy with it thus far and will take it to the mountains next week on its shake down hike where forecast calls for temperature ranging from 25*f to 80*f, will be at a higher elevation and more susceptible to sun burn, and we expect to cross a number of snowfields.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!